Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First 24 hours in Norway

So the day began with a bad feeling about my hotel in Oslo. I got on the web and looked for other accommodations before leaving Dublin, and could
find nothing for less than 260. that, plus the forfeiture of my reservation would have made my single night in Oslo a $400 stay, which was more than I could bear. On the train ride to the city, my apprehension continued to grow, so when I saw the Thon Opera right next to the train station, I decided no price was too dear and asked for a room. No rooms available. I then trudged back to the taxi stand and proceeded to get taken for a pricey ride to my hotel.

The hotel was on a busy street that got unbusy the closer one got to the hotel. I'm sure it was a perfectly safe area, but this ninny from the middle of the land got wigged out by the graffiti and the shift from a commerce to industry as I walked along the street. The real challenge, though, was in the hotel itself. I couldn't figure out the elevator. Turns out, one had to close an actual physical door with a doorknob before the elevator's sliding doors would close. D'oh. When I got to my room, I discovered an open wide window and a great 11th floor view. The room was neat and comfortable, but there were not nearly enough electrical outlets for all my devices. The bathroom was...well, the shower was a hose in the corner of the tiny room with a drain in the floor. Clean and functional, so all was good.

I ventured out for some exploration and some supper after an hour or so getting myself together. I made it to a pizza joint, where a pizza and a small Pepsi cost me about $35. No one was kidding when they said Norway was incredibly expensive. I ATMed some Kroner on the way back, then settled into my room for some writing and a fitful sleep.

About the view out my window--I counted six church steeples within view lever a largely tin box landscape. I could see mountains to my right. The air was incredibly fresh. I don't recall any other major city I have visited that smelled like the mountains. When I woke up this morning, there was a rainbow.

This morning I headed for the train, and arrived quite early. I really hate not speaking any Norwegian; I just feel rude and ignorant. not reading any also has it's drawbacks, as I did not realize I had an assigned seat on the train. Fortunately, the car I randomly clamored aboard was the right one, so I only had to move a few seats when I discovered my error.

Now I am sitting next to a German woman, Helge, who is being very patient with my labored German. I am enjoying her company, but am appalled at how much German I have forgotten. I used to be pretty good at the damned language. I understand her quite well when she speaks to me, but producing the language is very difficult, and when she talks to her traveling companions I can only catch the gist of what they are saying. She is from Hamburg and is on her way to a Hurtigruten tour up the Western coast from Bergen.



We are about an hour into the trainride, and the landscape is lovely. Rivers anthills and trees trees trees. I am struck by the difference between these clearly prosperous Norwegian farms,with their wide fields,well kept outbuildings,and rich timber. A marked contrast to the more difficult circumstances of the Irish.

YouTube Video

My new friend Helga has been all over the world by ship, and she says Norway is the most beautiful country she has visited.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:On the train to Myrdal

No comments:

Post a Comment