Sunday, October 9, 2011

Snow makes people warmer

It seems like there has been a transformation in the ship since we spotted some snowy peaks. People who have been circling around each other warily for over a week are now smiling and saying hello and asking cordial questions of each other.

I still find I am less interested in other humans than I am in the landscape and the general relationship of humans to it. I am sitting in the 8th deck observing area--"the cinema" as I call it--and have been editing some of the dozens of photos I took this morning. One of the bridge players said hello and we exchanged general information about each other.




It was a fantastic crisp morning, but I missed the sunrise, which was apparently spectacular peaking over the snowy mountains. I still managed to take 134 photos before the morning was over. About 20 of them were an attempt to catch a Skarv in flight, but by the time I cropped the images I got pixelation that made them undesirable. I need to practice the rapid shutter stuff some more.

I find myself especially moved by the landscape today. The wind in my face is stinging and strong, exhausting to face but exhilarating too. The mountains near and far and the changing sky is endlessly fascinating. I am not where I have been.












- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment