Saturday, October 8, 2011

Where the hell am I

I'm lost. I don't know what sea we are in, I don't know what day of the week it is, all the names of these coastal towns are running together--I'm feeling the pull of my work, and I am resisting, so I am between engaged and at liberty, I'm caught up in my imagination, and I'm sailing past the landscape that has been home to that imagination for 35 years.

All in all, the cruise has been a disappointment. Yes, we have seen incredible landscape, the ship is comfortable and not too fancy for my sensibilities, and I have traveled to parts of Norway I would not otherwise have seen. But it all is out there--across waves and distances I cannot gauge. Beautiful sunrises and sunsets, but I can't take walks or stare at a singular mountain until it is mine. Flåm is what I needed, what I craved, what I want more of. Have I seen more beautiful places on this cruise? Yeah, most would say so, but what I crave is being, not just seeing.



That said, traveling with Ann is great, and I am delighted to have met Pauline, who has traveled the world and still craves more experience more places. I love the mix of languages and the stretches of time looking out the window, but I could be looking out the window at any beautiful landscape anywhere, I think.



So I find I am still craving Norway, even as I sail along her coast.

I read today that Liv Ullmann will be acting in a new German-Norwegian co-production that will be filming in Bergen and in Germany.



Last night I helped a French man get on the internet, and today a man from Florida asked me some questions. I am becoming the international geek at hand. Hurtigruten should hire me.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment